Friday 6 May 2011

The man, the myth and the shirt-dress

In the land of fashion you’re always trying to impress somebody, even if you don’t know who you’re trying to impress you always aim to look good and casually fish for compliments. As my blog clearly states, “first impressions count for everything.”

And so there I was casually venturing out in what I deemed to be a pretty successful outfit, an oversized whistles t-shirt with haphazard nautical striping, several gold necklaces, and topped off with a pair of short dungarees. There I was, cool as a cucumber, vogue-Esq. style, Ralph Lauren eat your heart out....

“What are you wearing?! Why are you wearing dungarees?! Is your current profession a farmer? That scarecrow wants his outfit back!”

I’d hit the inevitable, the straight male flat mate and his ‘hilarious’ quick wit. I took it on the chin. Me and my flat mates have a sort of mutual understanding being that I remain their favourite flatmate so long as they are allowed to bully me senseless. But then as we headed out of the flat into the great wide world another non-flatmate male made an almost identically ‘funny’ joke.  “Working on a farm today are we marf?” HMMMMMM.












(What I was trying to envisage ^^^^, what I was not >>>)

I got over this fashion downfall as I wandered around the likes of REISS, Kurt Geiger and All-Saints and in each and every shop I received a compliment from a female shop assistant and I figured these were people I could trust. One particular shop assistant in All-Saints said something quite interesting...

“Don’t you find though that if a boy does give you a compliment...” (at this point my guess to the rest of the sentence was ‘you just want to reach up and kiss them), “you just want to go and change straight away?”

WHAT?!

If this is true who the bloody hell do we spend all this time trying to impress? She might have been a lesbian in which case this idea would work for her but I don’t swing that way you see. I suppose to some degree I want to impress my girlfriends, I don’t want them to think I’ve had some kind of mental downfall but ultimately if I wear a sexy dress I want a man to think I’m sexy you know?

I’d tried to think of occasions when men had complimented me on an outfit, and for the very few occasions I can think of it has been when I have been wearing either something inanely ordinary or if I’ve been wearing something that shows off so much skin I might as well have worn a towel.
(Kristin Davis- probably who we would deem least stylish in sex and the city but is usually the one men would most like to take home)


So what do men want? Are we stretching the boundaries too far when we stretch the boundaries of fashion. Every time we step out of the house wearing dungarees or playsuits or maxi dresses are we just setting ourselves up to be mocked by men on the prowl armed with their witty comments.

And if we are stretching the boundaries why do our girl friends tell us we look good? Are we lying because we’re too nice and don’t want to stamp on each other’s feelings or do we just have a different, more sophisticated taste when it comes to style.

When it all comes down to it surely we shouldn’t need reassurance as fashion is all about self expression?

Nevertheless today I dressed myself in what I thought would be a man’s ideal outfit. A plain white shirt-dress, not too manic or too ‘out there.’ But to top it off it eludes just the right amount of  sex appeal as it looks like I’ve just spent the night at a man’s house and I’m wearing one of his shirts to cover my modesty whilst eating breakfast, though of course a little more glamorous than that.

So here I go sex on a stick, glamour puss, Amazon Women....

“What’s that a giant t-shirt?”

I’m becoming a nun.

No comments:

Post a Comment