Tuesday 17 November 2009

What's all this anti fashion?

So there I am in the hellish process of writing my personal statement. I reach a point where I need to name a fashion faux pas so I begin to go through the obvious... neon? Nope. No no no, neon is currently THE trend at marc jacobs! So I proceed to come up with an alternative, anoraks? surely? If you are an 'anorak' you are highly un sophisticated. But to my amazement they are so current they could not possibly be named as unfashoinable, what with water proof parkas appearing at burberry and Erin Fetherston's drapped cape like dresses looking terribly poncho like. (So are we doing ponchos now as well?) I finally think maybe hiking boots could work but yet I am foiled again because high street stores such as urban outfitters and Topshop are swarmed by high heeled versions of the little devils.






In the end I decide that carpenter jeans and paisley are fashions most offensive items. But I couldn't help but wonder, is it no longer enough to just wear the right clothes, classic A-grade clothes that are flawless and fabulous? Or do we have to over step the mark and venture into the unknown territory to succeed as a true fashion staple? Or, heaven forbid, does fashion no longer exist? And are we instead required to be a certain sort of person to be fashionable rather than wear the right thing? All these questions really beg the same answer.... WHAT IS FASHION NOW?

You tell me, but for now steer well clear of carpenter jeans.

No comments:

Post a Comment