Wednesday 2 March 2011

"What the f**k is up with these models?"

OK verrrryyyyyyy long time no speak... almost a year. I feel as though me and fashion have been on some needless break and I have been slobbing around eating ice cream and wearing new look trackies only to find that actually we still feel exactly the same way about each other and there was no need for me and fashion to split.

anywayyy....
So exactly this time last week I was getting myself allll excited for watching the model agency on chanel 4 (because I love a bitchy fashion show, don't you?) and I roped in several of my flat mates to come and watch it with me. I was sat there blissfully unaware of their gradually wrinkled noses when all of a sudden one said "What the f**k is up with these models?!" I stared blankly at her. She went on to express her outrage at the way the models look, "really f**king ugly!" one of the agencies employees went on to say how they wanted models to look as though they were from another planet.

"See, SEE!" she said, "they want them all to look like aliens! why would you want a model to look like an alien?!"

I thought about this. Did my outraged flatmate have a point? Now that I think about it a lot of models do just look bizarre, if you think about the likes of Lily Cole with her extrordinarily small face or Lara Stone with her HUGE gap tooth, why would you want them to be the face of fashion?

The more I thought about it the more I could not come to a conclusion. (I seriously considered finding my new look trackies.) Why wouldn't you choose a normal beautiful girl with whom an audience can relate?!
BANG.... it hit me
Designers do not want their clothes to look accesible, they don't want any girl to be able to wear them. They want their clothes to be the most out of this world thing, so unatainable and aspirational that they look like they've fallen from a strange planet, hence the alien like models.

I did have one other, slightly more boring theory that would be far harder to blog about, that models simply acted as clothes rails which is why they're so skinny, but then they could just send clothes rails down the catwalk and that's just silly...

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I feel like the scales have fallen from my eyes. Very smart! I do like the idea of motorised clothes rails thou.....

    Any comment on John galliano Fashion Nerd?

    ReplyDelete