Sunday 28 August 2011

Lost in translation

You are all probably sick of my constant apologies. 'I'm sorry, I won't do it again!' and then there I go almost a week late with my blog yet again. I can hear you all saying "enough with the 'I'm sorrys' how about not doing anything to be sorry for?" Well in reply to that, all my lovely loyal readers, I promise that in two weeks when everything has settled down between us and I am back at uni I will be totally committed to you.

The cause to my delay is that fashion nerd has become uni nerd over the past month or so. I have become almost a university guru to oncoming freshers. I have been offering out much demanded advice on what to bring, how to get freshers tickets, how to meet people blah blah blah. Seriously UCAS should pay me some dollar cause I'm pretty sure these kids couldn't do it without me ;) (cheeky text face wink to indicate I don't really think I'm that brilliant.)

But surprisingly one of the biggest questions I got asked was 'what on earth shall I wear?!' Hmmmm what an intriguing question. Surely you wear what you would wear any old day of the week for 2 reasons;
1- Your moving house practical wear is usually required.
2- By wearing what you would usually wear you are giving an accurate representation of what you will look     like in weeks to come. (These people will no doubt see you looking your worst anyway IE no make up, granny PJs and crying because you're so hungover you can't speak.)
(This is what freshers fashion will mainly consist of, however best not to turn up like this, I don't know these people)

Now unfortunately I can not back up my argument because I remember fretting so much about what to wear and making a real effort to look nice but then again not too nice on moving day. I also completely freaked out my former flat mates when later on in the year I recited the exact outfits they wore on moving day, (I can always remember what people were wearing when I first met them, it's a gift.) So could this mean that actually first impressions do count because I can still remember that one of my flatmates wore pink jeans, a grey cardie, white vest and sandals and another wore a blue superdry hoodie and dark blue jeans? (Really hope they're reading this now and being equally freaked out.)

On my recent jolly up to Manchester I met up with one particularly curly friend  of mine who is off to UEA in September. She was having a dilemma with the particularly tricky subject on whether to re-shave part of her head again. Now I thought it looked pretty cool, edgy and VERY her. But she was worried that it would just be too extreme and give off the wrong impressions.

But it worked for her in Manchester so why not UEA? Can style really not get translated from place to place? I remember when I moved from Manchester to Dorset begging my mum to buy me a whole new wardrobe because my slightly wackier city fashion got totally mis-translated and came out as gobbledygook. But I soon found that it was very easy to fit in because of the lack of variety that was on offer. It wasn't that they didn't understand what I was wearing it just wasn't in their fashion vocabulary. Exeter high street, until very recently, was like an arm pit, it stank. I'm hoping that the soon to be Urban Outfitters there will spice things up a bit.
(Definitely do not turn up on your first day like these eager beavers, you don't want to come across mad keen!)


My mum gave me the Guardians 'Fresher 2011' guide the other day (I'm not a fresher bless her) and the style advice in there literally made me want to start crying, looksy I will show you....


She looks very, VERY play it safe boring. That top is hideous and it doesn't fit her. I love the Guardian but please for your own sakes ignore this advice and just wear something lovely, something you really like that expresses who you are.  Sooner or later everyone will find out that actually you are a bit of a freak and you don't like to dress like simple sally to the left of us.  University is a pool of young exciting people who are probably equally as worried on whether to shave their head or wear their leather shorts or tattoo their forehead. Most university's fashion sense is bilingual and someone is bound to speak your style.


Just be you, they'll all love ya!



Also apologies to anyone who does in fact own this top but I am sure you would wear it with something less dull and buy the correct size. Oh and my curly Mancunian shave your head, it looks great!

No comments:

Post a Comment