Thursday 21 July 2011

A room of my own

So most of us have flown the nest already and if you haven't then a vast majority of you will be this September (in fact most of us have flown the nest and have now returned back to it for the summer bothering mummy bird for worms, at this point I hope you are realising this is a metaphor.)


So those of you who are moving will probably be undertaking the joys and delights of uni accommodation (you can take those adjectives as literal or sarcastic because I loved my halls but I know plenty who didn't...) Now those in the know will tell you that your future room is most likely not in Laurence Llewelyn Bowen's top ten. It is more likely to feel like a prison cell or that room in the villa on holiday that everyone shotgun's not to have.
(even with these shiny happy people trying to sell this room to me its looking pretty bleak)


But this is to be your home for the next year, (well not year, on and off about 9 months) and who knows what these walls will see (well we second years have a mild idea from what we can remember and it ain't always pretty.) It is at this point that I should point out that people in student housing this year will probably also be suffering from the same bare walls so this blog is equally aimed at you.


And so my point is how on earth can we get around the uni rules that force us to have bare walls and eat off ikea white plates? Well being the lovely generous person I am, I am willing to pass on my secrets to all those with a room of there own this year with Martha Thursday's infinite guide to uni room clobber.


So the problem is you cant start nailing picture frames into walls or getting the Sanderson wallpaper out but a few band posters is all a little bit circa year 8. The solution? Get creative. My uni room last year saw the extent of my collaging skills, I would show you but there appears to be no decent photo evidence as any photos would have been taken at 4am when everyone was a little worse for wear. So here are some examples from slightly more responsible, slightly less intoxicated students.
(The look I attempted to channel in my room, mine wasn't quite as chirpy or clean..)
(yup all tiny fragments of magazines, what a freak)

OK so the last photo might require you to have the patience of a saint to go through with it but all the others are very achievable looks to have in your uni room, they simply require a few hours set aside, a few stacks of magazines and about £10 worth of blu-tack, and because its totally terry temporary your uni can't complain! And don't stop at magazines or photographs, I had a flat mate that dedicated his entire walls to his gap year memories dispersing ticket stubs and postcards amongst his photos. Or why not try a new way of keeping track of your friends, forget facebook how about a wall of friends as seen below (God I sound like I'm presenting art attack or something, Neil Buchanan eat your heart out!)

Wall stickers are my uni room vice, they are the perfect antidote to concrete, plasterboard and breeze blocks. They add a splash of personal flair to a room and then they just peel off when your done (though if you find they're a bit stuck on don't just pull run a hair dryer over the top!) I usually go for birds because I find they're non offensive but there's a load to chose from!

(voilà)
(I know no normal student would go for this but how brilliant?!)

And that's pretty much all I'd suggest really (sounding like a smart arse, my advice is by no means gospel.) But I wouldn't buy ikea plates everyone will have them and you'll get confused, NEXT do equally priced ones with variations other than white. Also don't forget to bring things from home, it will make your room feel more like your own, oh and nice bedding always makes a difference!

In this excitement I went on some mad rampage on the urban outfitters and in my blind excitement ordered about £80 worth of stuff for my new house. This morning it arrived and as I was tearing open my ridiculous items that I didn't need I realised fashion nerd was becoming home interior nerd, I think I need to be taken away to rehab for a while where they'll keep me away from exotic lamps and the ikea catalogue, I mean who really needs bird salt and pepper shakers?
(home tweet home)










No comments:

Post a Comment